Nesting: is a blog about the objects and experiences that create a sense of home. Without home, it is difficult to maintain health, find joy, or to be productive during our workdays. Enjoy the Nesting series of blogs as you search for your deep sense of home. –Jana
Movie night, whether alone, with family or friends, can be a great time for nesting. Movie night brings laughter, tears, discussion possibilities, and together time. Many of us have gathered a group to see a movie, to share some emotions, and even to explore the world from a new perspective.
Movie night gathering titles include:
- Mary Poppins Returns. I finally saw it and found it both charming and genius in its use of music that recalls the original and in its casting of “old and new” characters, actors, and actresses. I’ll watch this one again to pick up more encouragement from the song lyrics.
- Won’t You Be My Neighbor (Fred Rogers). Brilliant editing of decades’-worth of footage. Compelling story that I’ve watched many times and will watch again. Great look at a slice of American history too.
- Little Women (1994 version). When my stepdaughter came to live with us, we never saw her cry. Until this movie in which Beth dies. Our child cried and cried, then got angry that Beth died. The floodgates opened for her and her well-being.
- Animated films.
- Classic films and musicals.
- Television shows – current episodes, binge-watching past episodes, or special event programs.
- The Wizard of Oz. This favorite family-gathering movie stands the test of time.
- Holiday standards and classics.
Suggestion: avoid films with violence, nudity, and sex when hosting a movie night. No need to offend your friends. No need to put yourself in family discussions that are pre-mature to have at your house.
Whomever the movie night participants might be, they are people you generally like and enjoy sharing your time. When inviting people to a movie night, consider their joys and sensibilities. In other words, know your movie selection well so that you invite the people who will be most likely to enjoy it with you. Start popping and fill the popcorn bowls – here’s to movie night.